So, you’ve had a baby. Overnight the penny dropped and you realised just how important your own mom is to you in this new journey of motherhood. Her sheer presence and precious pearls of wisdom have helped you cope with your new responsibility of caring for your newborn. But while Moms know a lot they may not know everything. Here are the top 7 things that your Mom probably didn’t tell you about Breastfeeding!
1. Breastfeeding is not painful– Yes, believe it or not. Breastfeeding is the most natural phenomenon that doesn’t hurt at all. You may cringe when your child latches on to your nipple in the beginning but that’s normal. In case you experience pain during breastfeeding you must get professional help as the pain is your body’s mechanism to tell you that something isn’t right.
2. An expert is an expert! – The minute you have a child everyone who’s ever been a mom will be more than willing to give their two bits about breastfeeding but remember each experience is unique and you need to have expert guidance on an important aspect like breastfeeding. A certified Lactation Consultant is trained to address all your lactation related issues and create a wonderful breastfeeding experience for you and your baby. Make sure to make your appointment in advance!
3. Breastfeeding is a Dad-inclusive activity – New age Dads play a pivotal role in raising children today. And guess what…they also have a big role to pay in breast-feeding. We all know that lactation is linked to psychology and Dads need to extend their support throughout the breast-feeding journey. It is important for Dads to be present when the Certified Lactation Consultant takes you through the detailed steps of lactation and breastfeeding. Also, dads can be pro at burping the baby and indulge in skin to skin to develop that special bond with the baby.
4. Be body Conscious- Breastfeeding can be very demanding emotionally and physically. It is important to listen to your body and give it what it needs adequately. If you feel hungry you must eat, if you feel thirsty you must drink water and if you need rest give you must do just that!
5. Invest in a nursing pillow – Breastfeeding is a beautiful journey between a Mom and child. It is personal and precious. It has to be a joyful experience each time your child latches on to you for nourishment and love. Invest in a comfortable nursing pillow in advance to make this process as enjoyable and effortless for you and your baby.
6. Bye Bye Nipple Creams– You’ll be surprised how mighty your little baby is when he/she latches on to your nipple for milk. Be prepared for bruises and cuts that can cause you sleep-less and painful nights. Instead of fancy nipple creams try to put your own breast milk on the sore nipples and watch the magic. Voila! Your own breast milk is full of goodness and healing powers that you didn’t know of.
7. Size does not matter – Yes! Believe it or not… the size of your breasts does not determine its ability to produce milk. Generally it takes 4-5 days for your body to start producing milk naturally. Besides, the real key to ensuring a good supply of milk is in efficiently removing the breast milk. So don’t let anyone disturb you with their size theory.
Breastfeeding is a full time commitment and extremely important for the good health of your child. Don’t rely on hearsay or the internet to solve your lactation problems. Get in touch with a professional as Breastfeeding is not something that can delayed or left on the course of time.